Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Green Is For Thursdays: Costuming and the Environment, Series Introduction

What could be more natural than moths?
Or mould?  Or mildew?
Or sweat?

I like to commune with nature every now and then--no really, I do:  I garden at home and don't flinch at the tiniest inkling that I have gotten poison ivy, I don't smoosh bugs ( I capture them and set them free), I lie in the grass with my kids and listen to the frogs.  And I am known for not getting easily "grossed-out" when it comes to the things the human body does naturally:  many of which I have HAD to be close to in my work as a professional wardrobe manager and now as a mother of small children.

But there are some places that "natural" becomes tricky, particularly at work.

While pulling costumes for this past season at Villanova, we began to notice more and more moth damage on our wool items--particularly vintage pants and formal wear.  And so, we are embarking on a long hot summer of separating all wool and fur items from the larger stock for treatment in the prevention of further insect damage.

Coordinating this endeavor has brought up many questions regarding the chemicals we will use on the clothing and what this means for the handling, wearing, and ultimate value of our large costume stock.  The bug experts will be using Nu Van Pro Strips, which will pose no harm to the clothing or to actors and technicians, but will most certainly be fatal to the pesky moths that have cost us some valuable resources.

In the past few weeks battling Mothra, I have been reminded of other "green" questions surrounding the theatrical costuming field.  What exactly is the process of dry cleaning and how necessary is it and what are the environmental and health costs?  What role can recycling play in costuming?  Can we choose more organic products, sustainable products, and Fair Trade products and still keep costs down?  How do we choose what to keep and what top get rid of and how do we factor in donating and selling unwanted items?  How can we keep our work areas more environmentally friendly?

I'm sure there are many more topics to discover.  This series will explore these issues of the environment and theatrical costuming and attempt to answer questions or at least gather information.

Hope you join me next Thursday!

No comments: